A look into the December concert scene

concert preview.png

Many concerts are coming to Triangle venues this month, such as the Ritz in Raleigh. Photo courtesy of Scott Chemlar.

The Triangle draws in many diverse artists and music groups from across the nation, and even overseas. Compiled here are the top shows for this upcoming month. Now you know what to tell your Grandma to get you for Christmas — you’re welcome.

Diet Cig

Kings

Dec. 1, Doors: 9:30 p.m., Show: 10 p.m.

$13 advance/$15 day of

Don’t underestimate the energy contained in the two-person band that is Diet Cig.  Singing about youth and heartbreak, this punky and alternative duo is a powerhouse.  Expect songs that make you want to jump to the sky and scream and cry and dance all at the same time. Check out their hit “Harvard” and try to sit still.

The Revivalists

The Ritz

Dec. 9, 7 p.m.

$64

The Revivalists, a rock band from New Orleans, is coming to Raleigh this December. In March 2016, they were named one of "10 Bands You Need to Know" by Rolling Stone. The Revivalists continue to grow in popularity.  “Wish I Knew You” is their most well-known song, but there are several other good bops of theirs, including “Keep Going” and “Monster."

Kooley High

Kings 

Dec. 9, Doors: 9 p.m.

$12 advance/ $15 day of

Kooley High, a five-person rap group hailing from North Carolina, returns to Kings this December. The group, who all went to N.C. State, has a song, “Dear Raleigh” that showcases Kooley High’s roots, as they rap about some of the city’s landmarks such as Char-Grill and Cup A Joe.  

KRS-One

Cat's Cradle

Dec. 10,  Doors: 8 p.m., Show: 9 p.m.

$26 advance/ $30 day of

For a nostalgic look at hip-hop, buy a ticket for KRS-One, a long-time rapper from the '80s who is bringing his energetic and often political tracks to Chapel Hill.  Check out his hit “Sound of da Police” for a taste of the excitement KRS-One brings to the table.

Big Something

Lincoln Theatre

Dec. 29-31, 9 p.m.

$18-$30

Big Something is coming to Raleigh with three shows, each one with different opening acts. The group features electronic funky jams — the perfect dancey scene for New Year’s Eve.  Check out their hit “Love Generator,” and get excited for this high-energy show.

Adult Mom

TBD

Dec. 13

Adult Mom recently tweeted something that made me internally (and a little externally too, if I’m being honest) scream. That’s right, the indie pop group is embarking on a tour and is hitting Raleigh this December. The tour was just announced on Tuesday, and the location has yet to be disclosed, but the tour was labelled as a “house tour,” so expect the venue to be small.  

The beautiful and alternative melodies that pull my heartstrings are showcased in their tracks "Drive Me Home," "2012" and "Be Your Own 3am."

The Avett Brothers

PNC Arena

Dec. 31, 8:30 p.m.

$69-$71

The Avett Brothers are continuing their 14-year-old tradition of performing a New Year’s Eve show at the PNC Arena. The folky and upbeat group’s rock roots give them a unique sound —
think Dawes meets The Civil Wars. The Avett Brothers’ biggest tracks are "I and Love and You" and "Live and Die."

@isabellyperry