The Hip Hop Nutcracker: Q&A with MC Kurtis Blow and Jennifer Weber

Hip Hop Nutcracker
The Hip Hop Nutcracker takes Tchaikovsky's ballet and reimagines it through hip-hop. Photo courtesy of Jeremy Jeziorski.

The Hip Hop Nutcracker was back by popular demand for two shows on its third national tour following the success of the two previous sold-out tours on Friday, Nov. 24 at the Durham Performing Arts Center.

The Hip Hop Nutcracker is a contemporary, NYC-style, re-imagining of Tchaikovsky’s timeless music with a cast of a dozen all-star dancers, DJ and violinist.  It features special guest, and one of hip hop’s founding fathers, Kurtis Blow, who opens up the show with his introduction in several cities around the country.

Staff writer Laura Shanahan asked MC Kurtis Blow and director and choreographer Jennifer Weber questions about the evening-length production.

The Daily Tar Heel: Tell me about the Hip Hop Nutcracker.

Kurtis Blow: The Hip Hop Nutcracker is a refreshing renovation of the classic Tchaikovsky production. Blending breakdancing and ballet and hip-hop beats in classical music, the Hip Hop Nutcracker is a modern version of the holiday classic. 

DTH: What inspired you to be a part of this production?

KB: I was inspired to be a part of this production because of the fusion of two forms of music: hip-hop and classical. The young Bboys and Bgirls take the art form to the next level. The Hip Hop Nutcracker is a good look for hip-hop.

DTH: Why is it important to bring hip-hop to new audiences?

KB: Like any business, expansion is crucial to the success of the company. We, who are in hip-hop, always felt that this culture is for everyone. So, it's only natural that we are always looking for new audiences.

DTH: What are some highlights of the show?

KB: The intro, the violinist and DJ collab, the magical shoes that defeat evil, the mom and dad are reunited and the finale.

DTH: Why should people come out to the show?

KB: People should come out to the show to experience the fun for the whole family. A holiday season classic is needed now more than ever.

Jennifer Weber: The Hip Hop Nutcracker translates Tchaikovsky’s score into the language of hip-hop dance.  The plot is transported to present day-NYC where all the classic characters from the original Nutcracker are re-imagined. You will see the mice battle soldiers, breakdancing snowflakes, toys that come to life and a love story between Maria-Clara and the Nutcracker. The plot is similar to the original, but with a contemporary, urban twist. The Hip Hop Nutcracker, at its core, is a story about love, community, using art to inspire and of course, the magic of the holiday season.

DTH: What inspired you to put on this production?

JW: I was inspired by the music itself and the challenge of choreographing hip-hop to such an iconic classical score.

JW: True hip-hop culture is rarely seen on stage. It is important to share the real power of hip-hop to bring people together.

JW: The dancing is incredible and we also have some amazing duets between our violinist, Emily Simone and DJ Boo.  

JW: The Hip Hop Nutcracker is an opportunity to see some of the best hip-hop dancers in the world take the stage as stars. This is a show for everyone. It is great for families, people who love hip-hop, people who love the Tchaikovsky score and anyone looking for a new holiday tradition.

@laurashanny