Pitch Jam introduces community to the PIT-Chapel Hill

The PIT Chapel Hill, a local improv theater, may not be officially open yet, but they're already putting on events. On Friday at 10 p.m., the organization is hosting Pitch Jam, which stands for PIT Chapel Hill Jam.

Pitch Jam is part of a series of events that the PIT Chapel Hill is hosting in anticipation of its official opening, which is planned for early 2018. The PIT Chapel Hill is the third Peoples Improv Theater opened by “Saturday Night Live” writer and UNC alum Ali Reza Farahnakian. The other two locations are in New York City. 

This new comedy theater is in the building that previously hosted DSI Comedy Theater, which closed in August after 16 years due to allegations of harassment and sexual assault against founder Zach Ward.

Improv hopefuls will have to put their name in a bucket when they arrive at the event. Throughout the night, theater staff will be pulling names out, and those individuals will get a chance to perform as part of a random improv team. 

“We will keep switching it up throughout the night and changing format,” said Will Neville, the artistic director at the PIT Chapel Hill. “That way, we will give people as much stage time as we can.”

The event is free and open to the public. 

“It’s just a really informal open house,” Neville said. “We want to get members of the comedy community in here to meet us.”

The PIT Chapel Hill now offers both students and community members a safe place to go laugh and have a fun time. 

“I don’t know too much about it,” sophomore Nicole Toms said about Pitch Jam. “But, it seems like a fun way to connect with people on campus before we all retreat to the lonely depths of Davis for exam week.”

Similarly, sophomore Hailey Brown said she is very excited about the opening of a new comedy theater in Chapel Hill and the opportunity to participate on Friday. 

“I have always been interested in comedy, and I read a while ago that the PIT was opening, so I’ve been keeping up with to see if there any events I could go to,” said Brown. “I think comedy is a great release from school, and it is really useful to be able to take your difficult life situations and make light of them.” 

Neville and the rest of the staff at the PIT Chapel Hill hope to see many students at the event. 

“This is a chance to see if this is something that you might like to do or a chance to watch your friends be funny,” said Neville. “You get to laugh for free.”

@racheljensen21