Rowing finishes fall season with Head of the Hooch regatta

The North Carolina rowing team closed out the fall racing season on a strong note on Saturday afternoon at the Head of the Hooch regatta in Chattanooga, Tennessee. 

UNC started the day in the early afternoon, competing in the Women’s Championship 8+ field of 21. In this field, North Carolina’s A boat took fifth, coming in at 16:37.93. The Tar Heels’ B boat finished 11th, the C boat placed 19th and the D boat was 21st. 

In the Women’s Novice 8+ race, Tar Heel first-year rowers took almost placed three boats within the top 10. The A boat finished third, at a time of 17:22.31. UNC’s B boat came in shortly after at a time of 17:50.14, good for fifth place. The C boat grabbed the 11th spot, with a time of 19:30.88.

The Tar Heels also raced six fours in the Women’s Championship 4+. UNC’s top finisher in this race was its B boat, which finished in 18:32.13 — good for 10th out of 31 qualified competitors. The A boat wasn’t too far behind, coming in at 18:37.15 to secure 13th place. The Tar Heels’ C boat came in at 19:01.76, in 19th place. The D and E boat finished with times of 19:18.54 and 19:20.36, respectively. UNC’s D boat finished in 21st place and its E boat grabbed 22nd place. Lastly, UNC’s F boat in this event crossed the line in 19:41.19 — in 25th place. 

North Carolina’s first-year rowers impressed, taking three of the top 11 spots in the Women’s Novice 8+ race. This is a good sign of depth for the Tar Heels moving forward. 

UNC started the day of competition on a strong note, as its A boat took fifth in the Women’s Championship 8+. This set the tone for the rest of the day and the Tar Heels had strong showings in both of their other competitions, as well. 

After a strong finish to the fall racing season, North Carolina will look for this momentum to carry over into the winter training season. UNC will train to be ready to compete again in the spring. 

The Tar Heels will open spring racing against Clemson and Duke on March 10 in Clemson, S.C.

@pupadhyaya_