Editorial: Participate in First Amendment Day

Susan King, the Dean of the School of Media and Journalism, speaks at the First Amendment Day opening ceremony in 2015.

Every September, the UNC Center for Media Law and Policy hosts a celebration of our First Amendment rights. First Amendment Day, as it has come to be known, is an important reminder of freedoms we often take for granted, ones we don’t even realize we have until we see it threatened.

The day will be filled with panels and speakers who will discuss First Amendment issues. The first panel discussion will be about public art and memorials and how they relate to the First Amendment, a topic of particular relevance to this campus. Other panels on social media and the marketplace of ideas approach to free speech will take place as well — the latter will have DTH columnist Zachary Kosnitzky as a panelist. 

The keynote speaker this year is Siva Vaidhyanathan, author of “Antisocial Media: How Facebook Disconnects Us and Undermines Democracy” and director of the Center for Media and Citizenship at the University of Virginia. Vaidhyanathan will be discussing Facebook, and what he sees as the negative effects it has on interpersonal relationships and our democracy.

A number of activities are planned for the day as well. A reading of banned books will take place at Manning Hall, the Carolina Ukulele Ensemble will put on a concert and the day will end with a First Amendment trivia contest at Linda’s Bar and Grill.

As you can imagine, everyone at The Daily Tar Heel is a big fan of the First Amendment — especially that “or of the press” part. It’s necessary for the pursuit of truth, as the free exchange of ideas cannot happen if some are censored. The Editorial Board encourages everyone to participate in First Amendment Day, as a way to celebrate and learn more about some of our most cherished freedoms.