UNC field hockey handles Wake Forest, 5-1, in newly dedicated Karen Shelton Stadium

Senior midfielder Eva van't Hoog (22) of the UNC field hockey team weaves through a swarm of Syracuse players in a 5-1 win on Saturday, Sept. 29, at Karen Shelton Stadium in Chapel Hill, NC.

Senior midfielder Eva van't Hoog (22) of the UNC field hockey team weaves through a swarm of Syracuse players in a 5-1 win on Saturday, Sept. 29, at Karen Shelton Stadium in Chapel Hill, N.C.

The No. 1 North Carolina field hockey team defeated No. 16 Wake Forest, 5-1, to continue its undefeated streak, winning its 12th game in a row, as well as its fifth ACC game. 

On the same day that Karen Shelton Stadium was officially dedicated in honor of the longtime coach, UNC showed what an impact head coach Karen Shelton continues to have on the program. 

The Tar Heels (12-0, 5-0 ACC) started the game out slowly, only scoring one goal in the first half. In the second half, UNC focused on forcing penalty corners against the Demon Deacons (6-6, 1-3 ACC), and scored on broken plays. 

Back Cassie Sumfest returned to the field for the first time since Sept. 26, after she broke a finger on her left hand in the first half of the game. Sumfest played the remaining half of that game, and it was discovered that her finger had been fractured and displaced, an injury that kept her out of the lineup for 10 and saw her come off the bench Saturday. The senior also scored a goal in the final two minutes on a penalty corner assisted by first-year Erin Matson. The goal was Sumfest's second on the season.

Senior Malin Evert led the team with two goals, while midfielder Catherine Hayden continued her battle with Matson to be the team's leading goal scorer. Each scored once Saturday. Matson now has 11 on the season, while Hayden has 10. Two-way player Ashley Hoffman is in third place with eight. 

The game was up in the air to start the second half, with North Carolina only leading by one goal. Then it scored four goals in less than 10 minutes to take a 4-0 lead. At that point, the game was in hand for UNC, even as Wake scored a goal in a rallying attempt that nevertheless, fell short.

North Carolina showed why it was the No. 1 team in the nation Saturday. The Tar Heels lack any real weaknesses. The offense is a three headed dragon headed by Matson, Hayden and Hoffman. It’s defense is among the very best in the country. 

After easily handling the No. 16 team in the country, UNC remains undefeated and will continue to be the heavy favorites in every match it plays until proven otherwise. At this point in the season, the only thing to look for is whether or not the team can keep up the otherworldly level of consistency it has shown through 12 games.

UNC next plays Sunday against Liberty University at Lynchburg, Va. The Flames are the No. 19 team in the country, standing with a record of 9-3, 4-0 Big East. The game will be the beginning of a road trip that will see North Carolina play four out of its remaining five games away from home before the start of the ACC Tournament.

@bg_keyes