Canvas

PTA Thrift Shop's Bag Days yield affordable fashion

<p>An outfit made up of three <span class="caps">PTA</span> items: a gray sweater vest, a red blazer with gold buttons and a pair of green pants.</p>
Buy Photos

An outfit made up of three PTA items: a gray sweater vest, a red blazer with gold buttons and a pair of green pants.

The PTA Thrift Shop became a creative bargain hunter’s paradise this weekend as it held its Bag Day Sales in anticipation of spring arrivals.

The Chapel Hill thrift shop held the three-day event which encouraged customers to purchase a bag to fill with as many items as they liked.

Bags on Thursday cost $3, were reduced to $2 on Friday and then $1 on Saturday. All proceeds from the bags sold went to the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools Parent-Teacher Organization.

Erika Austin, store manager, said the Bag Days had been taking place twice every year for a number of years as a way of getting rid of excess stock during seasonal transition.

“We want to clear out the old to bring in the new, fresh spring and summer products,” she said. “New stock is all lined up for this Monday.”

Austin said the Bag Day Sales have been very popular.

“We had a line outside on Thursday and they all came in and pretty much cleared it out. We stayed busy for the whole day.”

Items up for grab included clothes, books and music records, in addition to a wide selection of golf clubs and past “National Geographic” issues.

Kathy Duncan, a regular customer, Chapel Hill resident and UNC alumna, said she had been shopping at the thrift store since 1977 when she was a college student.

Austin said current UNC students stopped by for the Bag Day Sales, but also come to the thrift shop during normal business days.

“They come here looking for furniture at the start of term, and come back even after they graduate,” she said.

“We have some looking for vintage clothing, and others for Halloween costumes.”

Duncan said you never know what you will find in the store.

“The stuff is unique. It’s excellent for crafts and products that you can’t really find elsewhere,” she said.

“My father first bought me a metal dollhouse from here, and then I clothed my kids from here too. It’s important that nothing gets thrown away.”