Diversions

Music short: Foxygen, We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic

Foxygen is here to deliver us the values and culture of the ‘60s, bringing a frustrated and confused young generation the music and ideas of their disgruntled predecessors from 50 years before. It’s a difficult cause, but with its new album, the band shows it’s possible.

A schizoid fusion of acid soundscapes, punk attitude and modern pop, We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic shines in its ability to form a vintage, yet still relevant, psychedelic symphony from the chaos of its elements.

The most current sounding track would be the single, “Shuggie.” The song contains a flute hook catchy enough to find yourself humming it repetitively in public, as it darts through playful keyboards and grooving drum beats.

However, tracks like “No Destruction” and “San Francisco” capture the sunnier side of the 1960s music scene (think The Mamas & the Papas), while reinvigorating the warmth and harmonies of older sounds.

Meanwhile, the sexier, heavier edge of the 1960s (think The Rolling Stones and Iron Butterfly) shows up in Sam France’s eerily Mick Jagger-esque voice as well as on tracks such as “We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic” and “On Blue Mountain.”

Easily the album’s magnum opus, “On Blue Mountain” is one thrilling, push-and-pull crescendo.
Starting as an organ-accompanied, fragile vocal line, the song shifts to a hip-shaking, harmonized verse for a minute or so, steps back to a slower jam once again, and then thrusts into a climactic psychedelic fury of sound.

Like this pun-provoking high point, We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic is unorthodox, unusual and chaotic. It’s strange, it’s different, and it’s not anything we’re used to hearing — it’s brilliant.

While other albums have merely explored the connection between our generation and the flower children, this one seeks to be the bridge. That alone makes it worth the listen.

Dive verdict: ????½