Happy Wednesday, UNC! We all have papers to write and midterms to study for, so we won't slow you down too much with an intro — here's the news:
- College can be expensive, but at least you finish with a degree — unless you’re part of the more than half of students that don’t graduate, and still have an often-overwhelming amount of student debt.
- Duke University recently announced that incoming students can no longer request roommates, a move that, according to various sources, may increase diverse student interaction or create more dorm horror stories than ever.
- OPINION: Mia Hamm, Zora Neale Hurston, Mamrie Hart and Roy Williams all have at least two things in common: they graduated from UNC, and our editorial board really wants them to speak at future spring commencements.
KEY PLAYS, KEY PLAYERS
- In the final months of his collegiate career, Theo Pinson has transformed from the team’s “energy guy” to its new star player — that's why he's the key to UNC's upcoming tournament runs.
- And speaking of keys to success — Cameron Johnson has stepped in to fill the Justin Jackson-sized hole in our hearts with an impressive shooting performance and team cooperation.
- UNC men’s lacrosse fought hard against Denver, but came up short for their first loss of the season. However, they’ll have the chance to redeem themselves against Hofstra next week.
- In response to the death of two pedestrians on MLK, the Town of Chapel Hill has launched a Pedestrian Safety Campaign, which will kick off with a month of Phone Free Fridays.
- “I would hope that the younger generations will also take a look at this because it’s also going to affect your life as well — you’re going to have to deal with the consequences." The Orange County Board of Commissioners is proposing a resolution to keep judges from being appointed by the NC General Assembly.
- COLUMN: Chapel Hill from a bird’s eye view is a beautiful thing — but since Chapel Hill’s Horace Williams Airport is due to close in May, many people might not get the chance to see it.