Tales from the Old North State

The week ahead, March 24-30

Looking to learn more about North Carolina and the southern experience? Every week, Tales from the Old North State will feature events in and around the area that highlight the history and culture of N.C.

Tell Me About the South: Once Something has Lived It Can Never Really Die

What: Lecture

When: March 26, 12:30 p.m.

Where: Love House & Hutchins Forum

UNC-Chapel Hill American Studies Professor Bernie Herman will explore the art of Ronald Lockett who utilizes discarded materials to express struggles against racial, economic and political discrimination. Herman will explain Lockett’s art in relation to the Birmingham-Bessemer Movement of visual and performance arts that flourished in the oppressive context of the American South.

Inside the Mind of the Christian Right: A Deep History of the Culture Wars

What: Lecture

When: March 26, 4:30 p.m.

Where: FlyLeaf Books

Part of the Humanities in Action series, this lecture will explore evangelical Christianity and its connotation of anti-intellectualism in America. UNC-Chapel Hill history professor Molly Worthen will examine the history of the label and how it developed in the 20th century through evangelical’s interactions with science, history and worship. Worthen will argue the view of evangelicals as anti-intellectual is both one of the greatest weakness and strengths of the movement.

Tickets: Register ahead of time and pay $18 or $8 for General Alumni Association members. Tickets are $20 for everyone paying at the door.

That the Blood Stay Pure: African Americans, Native Americans, and the Predicament of Race and Identity in Virginia

What: Lecture

When: March 27, 3:30 p.m.

Where: Bulls Head Bookshop

Aricia L. Coleman, a professor of black American studies at the University of Delaware, will explain how commonwealth of Virginia’s effort to maintain racial purity affected relations between African Americans and Native Americans. The history and legacy of the racial purity campaign is told from the perspective of disavowed community members in Coleman's latest book That the Blood Stay Pure.

Cedars in the Pines on the Plaza

What: Festival

When: March 29, 11 a.m.

Where: North Carolina Museum of History

Celebrate Lebanese culture with the North Carolina Museum of History. This outdoor festival will include dances, foods, and crafts to coincide with its “Cedars in the Pines” exhibit, which explores the history of Lebanese immigrants in North Carolina.