Law student keeps it ‘classy’ in Playboy

Stephanie Christine poses during an audition to appear in Playboy Magazine on March 25.

Most students show their UNC pride by donning Carolina blue clothing. Stephanie Christine shows hers by not wearing much at all.

For the month of October, she’s partially naked on page 53 in Playboy as UNC’s representative for the magazine’s “Girls of the ACC” feature.

The feature appears in the latest issue, which hit the back row of magazine stands Friday. Other cover stories include “Vampire love” and “Meet the real pirates of Somalia.”

Christine, who earned the spot in a trial photo shoot last March, said she first learned about the try-outs from Playboy’s Web page.

“I always keep my eye open for local casting calls, specifically for Playboy,” she said.

Christine tried out for Playboy once before in her home state of Ohio. She said she first became interested in modeling a few years ago, working as a waitress and bartender at a Hooters restaurant.

“I saw all the things my colleagues were doing, and I wanted to be a part of that,” she said.

She’s turned that interest into modeling work with publications like Hooters Magazine and MMA Sports, a magazine dedicated to mixed martial arts. Christine also recently became a member of the International Bikini Team, which includes two other girls from North Carolina. The group’s slogan is “classy not trashy.”

Thanks in part to that experience, Christine said she wasn’t nervous when she arrived at Playboy’s offices for her first nude shoot.

“They really treated me like a princess from the time I got there to the time I left,” she said. “Everyone made sure my needs were attended to.”

The staff for her shoot included a videographer, photographer and assistant, and a hair and make up team. An equipment supervisor also acted as a personal disc jockey, playing Aerosmith, Lynyrd Skynard and Britney Spears during the shoot.

Christine said she hopes to continue modeling, turning this opportunity into more work.

“The modeling industry is basically about making contacts and making good relationships, getting your name out and networking,” she said.

But for the long-term, she understands there can be a short shelf life for many models and Playmates.

Once her modeling career ends, Christine said she hopes to have a law degree to fall back on. She’s enrolled in the School of Law as Stephanie Haney, and is currently a third-year student, said Kathleen Bowler, assistant dean for communications for the law school.

“It’s really so personal and subjective,” Christine said of a decision to stop modeling. “I’m just waiting to see what opportunities present themselves. Whichever is best at the time,” Christine said.

Christine is the 17th UNC student to be featured in a Playboy pictorial. The last was Evelyn Gery, a psychology major who appeared on the magazine’s cover in 2004.