Perhaps it’s a jaded marriage in his past, the subsequent divorce or general satirical feelings about the institution of marriage that inspired Tim Kasher on The Game of Monogamy. But whatever it is, we’re willing to play along.

On the artist’s solo debut, he weaves together quirky songs with playful, multi-colored sounds and lyrics that hint at a string of broken hearts.

As the front man of indie groups Cursive and The Good Life, Kasher continues his solo album in a similar fashion, combining a multitude of instrumentals with descriptive and often desperate lyrics that describe a character who is — in all probability — an extension of himself.

The layers of sound and lyrics might reflect Kasher’s past projects, but there’s little evidence of Cursive’s thrashing volatility.

With its game-like whimsicality, The Game of Monogamy is a quick saunter through the masked reality of broken love.

Kasher mixes things up with cheery pop ditties, short musical overtures and slow, pensive tunes that recall the past in intricate detail.

The album’s centerpiece as well as stand-out track, “Cold Love,” contrary to its name, is full of warm tones and upbeat energy. In a similar vein to a sing-a-long gem, the engulfing pop sound and sweet background vocals mask the “suburban doldrums,” and the pains of the past about which Kasher sings.

Although the quirky lyrics give a light-hearted feel to an album full of generally negative emotions, sometimes Kasher takes the listener on an infinite ride that seems to turn into nonsensical phrases.

Along with the constant theme of monogamy comes monotony, particularly after the seventh or so song about a broken marriage, broken desires and past memories of the two.

For Kasher, The Game of Monogamy lingers in regret and pain. Yet, like any good game, the songs are fun and engaging, enough so to mask the angst that simmers below.