Group makes return with 'Aida'

Cast memebers of “Aida,” Company Carolina’s production launching tonight and running through the weekend participate in a dress rehearsal on Thursday night.

Company Carolina is launching its season with Elton John.

Tonight, the Union Cabaret will feature the community-based theater group’s performance of “Aida.”

It will be the first show of the calendar year for the company, and the first since its November 2009 production of the popular rock musical “RENT” in the Forest Theatre.

Despite going more than a year without putting on a performance, the company remains optimistic.

“It’s definitely been a rough year for us, but it’s really exciting for us to be putting on such a large musical in the Cabaret,” said producer Stephanie Waaser.

The spring 2010 production of “Cats” was unexpectedly canceled in the last week of rehearsal due to a production rights conflict, and this fall’s “Once on this Island” was pulled in its final week as well.

Former UNC student Johanna Burwell, the lead actress in “Aida,” said that the cast is poised to put on what they feel will be a fun yet long overdue performance.

“It’s always exciting to lead in a show, and being Company Carolina, to put on the first show of our season just makes it that much better,” Burwell said.

The company was able to secure the Cabaret for the performance. Though Waaser said it was not their first choice, the Cabaret offers many traditional stage aspects.

“It’s been a huge challenge, but I think that it’s ultimately going to work out,” said production director Jordi Coats. “My goal of showing emotion and how the characters change, going from point A to point B through the show, will be so much more clear for the audience to see.”

Set in Ancient Egypt, the musical revolves around the struggle of a Nubian princess trying to decide between her duty to her people and the oppressor with whom she’s fallen in love.

“There are more levels to the love triangle than you typically see in a lot of shows,” Coats said.

The two-act musical, based on the historical Italian opera of the same name, will feature live music written by pop legend Elton John and Academy Award-winning lyricist, Tim Rice.

“One of the main reasons I chose the show is that the music is so eclectic,” Coats said. “There are just so many different genres that are just so much fun to work on and listen to.”

Coats said the show is defined by the turmoil that befalls Aida, and the excitement lies in how she is able to handle the pressure.

“I really want (the audience) to see Aida as very empowered, but also intensely conflicted,” Coats said. “I’m trying to expose a certain balance between her pain and passion.”

In addition to the personal issues Aida faces, the show addresses diversity on a much grander scale.

“I’m really glad we have such a multicultural cast to help show unity and how that translates to our ability to attain our goals,” Burwell said. “It’s really powerful.”

The company hopes that the 24-song musical, laced with several power ballads, will usher them into a strong and consistent season.

“The music is meant for a much larger space — it might be a little loud, but it’ll be fun and make for a great study break,” Waaser said.

“We’re really excited to be able to get this done.”

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.