Don't discriminate: Boy Scouts shouldn’t be allowed at soon-to-be merged YMCAs

A s they plan to consolidate their organizations, the boards of directors of two local YMCAs must remember that inclusivity is the name of the game in any successful merger.

The YMCA of the Triangle must reconcile its backwards policies with the more progressive ones already in place at the Chapel Hill-Carrboro branch.

But both branches must take care not to alienate any of their patrons as they navigate this transition.

So far, there seems to be one drawback to adopting the Chapel Hill-Carrboro branch’s policies: the new YMCA could not allow a Boy Scouts of America troop to use its facilities.

Before every meeting, members of the Boy Scouts take an oath to remain, among other things, “morally straight.”

Because the Boy Scouts do not allow openly gay adults to lead troops, the Chapel Hill-Carrboro branch’s bylaws would necessitate that the new facility sever any connection to the Boy Scouts.
The Boy Scouts policy would be in direct conflict with the discrimination policies employed by the Chapel Hill-Carrboro YMCA, which calls for equal opportunity for employment regardless of sexual orientation.

Plenty of Boy Scout troops are based out of churches, and it seems reasonable to suggest that a potentially displaced troop find a new place to meet.

When the Chapel Hill-Carrboro YMCA split from its resident Boy Scout troop, the troop was able to find a new home at American Legion Post 6 in Chapel Hill.

YMCA

A petition opposing the merger is already circulating online. If it were to leave the sexual orientation clause out of its anti-discrimination policy, the new facility would alienate the gay communities of Chapel Hill, Carrboro and Durham.

The progressive policies already in place are no accident; they reflect values that are central to the identities of Chapel Hill and Carrboro.

Those opposed to the merger must bear in mind how beneficial it would be to the residents of Orange and Chatham counties.

The two communities would be able to pool resources and consolidate programs. It is clearly the most fiscally responsible course of action.

A single, central facility would provide the most effective service for the most members. And it would be able to do this at a lesser cost than the current set-up allows.

Though a formal merger is still a long way away, the branches’ boards of directors must start working now to ensure an acceptable compromise is reached.

If the merger is approved with the integration of Chapel Hill-Carrboro’s sexual orientation clause, the YMCA owes it to the troops to help them relocate to another facility. This isn’t asking much, but it could go a long way toward healing any potential wounds.

The two boards must distinguish between the damage that would be done to the complaining parties. As the YMCA makes changes in the name of collaboration and coordination, it must be sure to avoid alienation.