UNC student body presidents: Then and now

As six student body president candidates vie for a position that would define their senior year, former student body presidents — from the 1960s to 2011 — said that the position influenced the course of their lives.

Jon Curtis, associate director of student activities and organizations for the Carolina Union, wrote in an email that he has met almost every living student body president from UNC.

He said he has worked with student body presidents for the last 17 years as an advisor to student government.

Curtis said that he has noticed a large amount of diversity in the eventual paths of the students who have passed through the office.
“Some of these individuals have married and become parents and are finding fulfillment through those roles,” he said.

“Other have found their professional paths and are finding fulfillment in their profession, and some are still experiencing forms of education that allow them to delve deeper into what their potential might have in store for him.”

Bob Spearman, 1964-1965

Where is he now: Spearman is a retired partner at Parker Poe Adams & Bernstein LLP in Charlotte, N.C. He is handling cases about public school funding.

Looking back: Spearman said there were two political parties when he ran — the University and Student parties.
He said the job helped prepare him for politics.
“Work as student body president was helpful for getting me into more political matters than I would have otherwise done.”

Bill Moss, 1977-1978

Where is he now: An attorney at the Raleigh law firm Smith Anderson Blount Dorsett Mitchell & Jernigan LLP, Moss defends doctors in medical malpractice lawsuits.

Looking back: “There were certain skills that I was called upon to have that have been helpful to me, like presentation and speaking skills, that are applicable to what I do as a lawyer.”
He said the job exposed him to groups on campus he otherwise wouldn’t have been exposed to.

J. B. Kelly, 1979 – 1980

Where is he now: Kelly serves as general counsel in the N.C. Attorney General’s Office, working to reform bank mortgaging practices.

Looking back: He said he was the first out-of-state student body president and that the position endeared the state to him.
“(It) gave me a better sense of North Carolina.”

He said his presidency helped him learn the history of the state.

“It allowed me to stay in the state and do what I did.”

Bob saunders, 1980 – 1981

Where is he now: Saunders represents the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce as a lawyer from Brooks Pierce McLendon Humphrey & Leonard LLP.

Looking back: “By placing a lot of responsibility on me early, (it) helped me focus on my career, my studies, and it’s what helped me decide to go to law school.”

He moved back to Chapel Hill in 1992.

“I became so involved with the University and the town again and it renewed my school spirit.”

Patricia Wallace, 1985 – 1986

Where is she now: An attorney at the law firm of Matthews Wallace LLP in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Wallace deals with commercial litigation and privacy issues.

Looking back: “Sadly, it made me much more cynical. I think some of the circumstances I found myself in, such as people lying to me and hiding information from me, made me learn not to trust people. It is kind of sad commentary on the position.”

She was the first female student body president.

Seth Dearmin, 2005 – 2006

Where is he now: Dearmin is a consultant for Nexus Strategies in Raleigh and works on political campaigns for local and statewide officials.

Looking back: “It impacted me by trying to have my voice heard in a situation where I was the kid of the table with big-time leaders.”

He said the position helped him connect with alumni, students and members of the Board of Trustees.

“(It) opened some doors not necessarily easily opened.”

Jasmin Jones, 2009 – 2010

Where is she now: Jones works at the Center for American Progress.

Looking back: “It taught me that when you get to the top, life is not easier. … You must work 10 times harder.”

She wrote that the job revealed her interest in government.

“I plan to work closely with the government throughout my life because I believe that it’s the one institution, outside of the church, that was created to help everyone.”

Hogan Medlin, 2010 – 2011

Where is he now: Medlin is teaching high school students in Busan, South Korea, as a Fulbright scholar, and is pursuing a public relations internship with the Korean-American Educational Commission.

Looking back: “It was the people I met, the triumphs and setbacks, the late nights of working and the continuous inspiration from the student body that taught me how to keep motivated towards achieving my own personal goals and dreams.”

Contact the University Editor at university @dailytarheel.com.