Shortbread Lofts meets approval

The Chapel Hill Town Council approved applications for re-zoning and a special use permit for Shortbread Lofts — bringing the complex, which promises downtown housing, closer to reality.

The Monday night approval of the mixed-use site comes after Charterwood, a similar mixed-use site, had its permits rejected earlier in February.

Shortbread Lofts is a proposed mixed-use, 7-story apartment complex that will be built at 333 W. Rosemary St.

About 85 apartments and 121 parking spaces are planned, as well as roughly 6,500 square feet of retail space on the ground floor.

The complex will also have a recreation area on the roof for residents that will include an outdoor track and community gardens.
Phil Post, project engineer for Shortbread Lofts, said they hope to begin construction in June.

Many residents spoke at the meeting in support of the project.
“I’m very pleased,” said Hulene Hill, a Chapel Hill resident. “I think we need more density for people to live downtown in.”

Jim Norton, executive director of the Chapel Hill Downtown Partnership, said the project would help in a number of ways, including providing downtown housing for UNC students.

“It relieves some of the pressure to convert single-family housing in the Northside community,” he said.

But others expressed skepticism that the project would attract students away from cheaper housing like that in Northside and Pine Knolls.

Alexander Stephens, an associate director at the Jackson Center, said the proposed monthly rent ­ — about $700 per bedroom — would be too expensive for most students to afford.

“It’s not going to drive students away from those houses, when they have much cheaper housing in single-family homes,” he said.
But Councilwoman Penny Rich said the town shouldn’t judge the project on whether it will provide more student housing.

“We need to judge it on whether it’s going to be a good project, and it sounds like it’s going to be a good project,” Rich said.
Mayor Pro Tem Ed Harrison said that the project would help bring more permanent residents to the downtown area, which would help support local businesses that currently rely on students.

“A lot of the council’s movement has been to populate downtown with permanent residents,” he said. “(We are) making this a 52-week, 24-hour town.”

Contact the City Editor
at city@dailytarheel.com.