Canvas

TBS, Rooftop Comedy team up to bring college comedians to a national stage

Student comedians across campus will have a chance to showcase some of their best jokes in hopes of embarking on a journey through the world of comedy.

Tonight, Rooftop Comedy’s National College Comedy Competition kicks off at UNC. Try-outs will be held in the Student Union Cabaret, letting some of the school’s best stand-up comics compete for a spot among eight in the region.

The national competition will pit teams of eight comedians from 32 colleges throughout the nation against one another in fierce comedy competition, said Ryan Frank, spokesman for Rooftop Comedy.

“We’re working with TBS to put on what you could call the ‘March Madness’ for stand-up comics,” Frank said. “It’s all about finding the next up-and-coming talent.”

The competition was founded by Rooftop Comedy in 2008, and has since developed considerable momentum. Last year, TBS began sponsoring the event.

“When we first started, it was a pretty significant undertaking for us,” said Sara Linderman, director of marketing for Rooftop Comedy. “It’s changed dramatically and has become really exciting in recent years.”

After the initial try-out round, squads will face off with another school in their area in front of an audience and four judges. The regional match-up for North Carolina pits UNC against Duke at the DSI comedy club in Carrboro.

Chosen teams will continue competing, their performances now judged online by voters across the nation.

“We’re providing an outlet that supports the college students who will one day be in the ranks of comedy’s up-and-coming performers,” Linderman said.

Vinny Tagliatela, comedy committee chairman of Carolina Union Activities Board, said that the competition is vital in helping the art of joke-telling to flourish on campus.

“One of my big goals this year was to grow the student comedy scene,” said Tagliatela. “Thanks to Rooftop, we’re getting the rest of the country to see our comedians perform — it’s a wonderful opportunity for them.”

2011 will be the second year in which the comedy competition finds itself at UNC. Last year, UNC lost to Duke in the Regional Rivals round, said Tagliatela.

Senior Cody Hughes — three-time defending champion of the CUAB-sponsored Student Stand-Up Competition — is preparing for the competition by rehashing his classic jokes.

“I might do some newish stuff, but mostly things I have a feel for,” Hughes said.

He said that this offers UNC student comedians the ability to work and perform as a team while still remaining competitive.

“Open mics are good for new material,” he said. “But when you’re in a competition, you want to bring your best material.”

Try out for the competition tonight at 8 p.m. in the Student Union Cabaret.