Retail Stores Likely to Replace Downtown Bars

Town officials say they have no idea what will fill the empty spaces, but most agree that a retail shop would fare well at the sites.

Chamber of Commerce President Joel Harper said he did not know what would fill the location.

"I would hope that whatever goes in there would be retail-oriented,"he said. "Something that generates traffic, not a University business or office that doesn't create people movement."

Harper said he did not think pizza parlors, coffee shops or T-shirt vendors would be among businesses that would flourish in those spots.

He said bookstores and clothing retailers were more likely to meet with success onFranklin Street.

Alanna Farkas, a sophomore international studies major from Marshall, said she would like to see a sporting goods store move into either location.

"I used to go to Athletic World for all my sports gear," she said. "But since it's closed, I have to drive all over the place. It would be nice to have (a sporting goods store) close to campus."

Justin Eldreth, a senior from West Jefferson, said he would miss both Silent Sam's at 205 E. Franklin St. and Groundhog Tavern at 149 1/2 E. Franklin St. because they were popular hangouts for the men's rugby team.

"I've heard a few guys talking about starting a rugby bar," he said. "It would be cool to have an actual bar themed around the game, not just a place that we sort of took over and claimed as ours."

Roger Walden, planning director for Chapel Hill, said the former location of Silent Sam's had always been a food and beverage establishment.

"I think that is what people expect it to be, and I think that is what it will be,"he said.

Harper said many food establishments and bars had failed at the location previously occupied by Silent Sam's, near the corner of Franklin and Henderson streets.

"I wouldn't want to label it as death for a business, but there has been a number of food and bar turnovers on that corner," Harper said.

Silent Sam's and Groundhog Tavern both closed this summer due to undisclosed reasons, Harper said. "There is nothing official,"he said. "Businesses close for many reasons. The owners lose interest or they decide to move on. People always assume that bu siness is bad, but it could be many reasons."

Walden said individual businesses could open and close without notifying the planning board.

"There is always turnover at those locations,"he said, in reference to the spots that housed Silent Sam's and Groundhog. "They do not need any special approval from us."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.