Libertarian Candidates Soon to Visit UNCAnd Meet With Voters

I applaud the Oct. 20 editorial "Let in the Minority" suggesting the presidential debates should be open to major "third" parties. But you forgot Mr. Harry Browne, the Libertarian candidate for president. The Libertarian Party is one of only three parties with enough grassroots support to make the ballot in all 50 states. The candidates from the other two were the very elephant and donkey who bored us so in the presidential debates.

As for the other "third" parties, Harry Browne is polling even with or higher than Mr. Buchanan almost everywhere. This despite Mr. Buchanan's receipt of some $12 million taxpayer dollars and 60 times more media coverage than Harry Browne. Harry Browne is polling higher than Mr. Nader in Georgia and even in Colorado and Kansas. Nader, too, collects federal campaign money and even more media coverage than Buchanan. Though Harry Browne qualified for federal campaign funds, he declined this "Welfare for Politicians." He refuses to seize campaign money from folks who don't support him.

On a related note, Ms. Barbara Howe, Libertarian for governor, was excluded from the few N.C. gubernatorial debates. But don't despair! Thanks to the Tar Heel Libertarians, the Carolina National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws and Campaign to End the Death Penalty, you can meet Barbara Howe this Wednesday, Oct. 25, right here on campus. She and Mr. Brian Towey, the local Libertarian for the U.S. House of Representatives, will be speaking with students at 7 p.m. in the Dialectic Hall, on the 3rd floor of New West.

Russ Helms

President, Tar Heel Libertarians

Ph.D. candidate, Biostatistics

John Johnson

Vice President, Tar Heel Libertarians

Ph.D. candidate, Statistics