Local Theater Closes Doors After 20 Years

Those seeking a cheap alternative to expensive movie theaters have one less option to choose from in Chapel Hill.

The Ram Triple movie theater on Rosemary Street closed its doors Thursday after 20 years of service.

Carmike Cinemas, the company that managed the Ram Triple, has closed several area theaters over the past few months.

Carmike is cutting back to recover losses caused by an increase in multi-screen, stadium-style theater construction. The theaters have become popular across the nation, although there are none in the Chapel Hill area.

Susan Brown, spokeswoman for Carmike, said the Ram Triple closed as part of Carmike's bankruptcy proceedings.

"It was just in Carmike's economic interests to close the Ram Triple," she said.

But she said she could not comment further on the company's financial situation because of legal restrictions.

Adrienne Kovacik, a UNC sophomore from Raleigh, said she is disappointed that the theater is closing.

"My life is over," she said. "(Ram Triple) seemed like it would always be around. It was a staple."

But Andrew Neal, an employee at nearby Second Foundation Books, said Ram Triple's closing will not affect most area movie watchers.

"I wouldn't say it's a big loss," he said. "By the time the movies got there, they were already out on video anyway."

Joel Harper, president of the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce, said retail space in downtown Chapel Hill is very desirable, but he does not know what will fill the vacated theater location.

"Any business would do well in the space," he said. "But we could sure use some more office space."

Stephanie Carder, of Council Travel adjacent to the Ram Triple, said Chapel Hill needs a cheap movie theater to compete with the higher-priced theaters in the area.

"I know that Raleigh has a really nice cheap theater, and it's always busy," she said. "But the Ram Triple was pretty trashy, and it (was) just going to get worse."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.