Online Calendar to Centralize Publicity

Student Body President Brad Matthews, Vice Chancellor for Information Technology Marian Moore, Academic Technology & Networks representative Libby Evans and a committee of students are currently preparing a calendar of events on the Internet that all students will be able to access.

"For a long time, there has been a need for a central information point at Carolina," Matthews said. "For the last couple of years, it has been impossible to keep track of all the campus activities - this is an attempt to keep track of it all."

Work on the project started last summer, and the group is still in the process of perfecting the final product.

Matthews said the group has purchased Groveware, software that specializes in online calendars, and members are now being trained on how to use it properly. ATN funded the purchase of the software.

Once the calendar is ready, student organizations will be able to submit activities to be listed online. "No matter who you are or what club you're in, you will be able to add your information to the Web-based campus calendar," Matthews said.

Tyra Moore, president of the Black Student Movement, said the new online calendar will be useful for her group.

"I think it will greatly improve our communication, especially between student groups for better spacing and planning of events," Moore said.

Matthews is optimistic about the success of the calendar but warned that it might take time for it to realize its full potential. "It will take awhile to become effective because people have to get used to having it there, but it will be a tremendous benefit," he said. "Instead of having to search for what's going on on campus, you will be able to find it at a glance."