Senior Class Gift Choice Disappointing, Bad Use of Money

As members of the senior class, we are very upset by the fact that the class gift will be a wall-sized fish aquarium. Whereas the idea is creative, we feel that our money could be used for better things.

For instance, has anyone noticed the trees that have disappeared from our campus for the sake of construction? Why don't we replace them? A friend of ours who attends James Madison University in Virginia commented that she loved our campus because we had so many trees. Many other people feel the same way. Why don't we attempt to maintain the level of beauty that has existed on our campus for more than 200 years?

We also are concerned about a few details that were not mentioned in Thursday's paper. Who will maintain the aquarium? The fish will need to be fed; the the tank will have to be cleaned. And of course, all fish don't get along, so research will have to be done to assure that the right combination of fish are placed in the tank.

We are sure that these issues are being addressed, but can someone please let these details be known? We'll still think that the aquarium is a bad idea, but at least we'll know that the decision isn't half-baked.

Dawne Howard

Senior

Journalism and Mass Communication

Shelley Franklin

Senior

Communication Studies