Seniors to Have Fun, Show Spirit in Pit

Senior class officials have planned a week full of activities, which also will include choosing the senior gift and taking suggestions for the Commencement speaker.

To kick off the festivities, seniors attended a UNC women's volleyball game against Duke on Sunday. Coordinators gave out prizes and raffled off tickets to the UNC-N.C. State basketball game.

Ram Day was held Monday, allowing seniors to have their picture taken with the mascot Ramses. Seniors also received their senior T-shirt and sticker, which will provide discounts at venues to be announced.

"We've had a good turnout so far and will be in the Pit all week until 2 (p.m. every day)," said senior Heather Tsanos, who is helping distribute the gifts.

"Friday is a big day because it is Senior Pride Day, where the seniors are encouraged to wear their shirts and participate in some games."

Other scheduled events include a Commencement Information Session for seniors graduating in December, which will be held from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. today in the Pit. "Students graduating early tend to be overlooked," said senior Jamie DeMent, special events coordinator for Senior Week.

But May Commencement has not been ignored by Senior Week organizers either - senior class officials already are working on finding a Commencement speaker and selecting a class gift.

Senior Class President Jason Cowley, Senior Class Vice President Sherilynn Black, two student representatives and faculty members are trying to decide on a Commencement speaker for graduation.

"We are soliciting ideas from the class ranging from politicians to entertainers," Cowley said. Seniors are encouraged to e-mail their suggestions to uncspeaker@unc.edu. Ideas are due by 5 p.m. on Oct. 18.

Cowley also said the process of selecting a senior gift is almost complete. "We have narrowed it down to a few ideas based on the votes from seniors using e-mail," Cowley said. "The level of participation is higher this year, which is exciting."

Gift options that remain are scholarships for one urban and one rural student that will live together in a crosscultural experiment, a wall-sized aquarium in the Student Union, a graduate school advising program for UNC seniors, a Jumbotron television screen for Kenan Stadium or a contribution to the Henry/

Copeland Permanent Art Collection in the Student Union.

The gift selection will be formalized Wednesday night at Senior Nite, which will be held from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. at Players. "This event will be to celebrate the selection of the class gift," said senior Liz Holland, a biochemistry major from Greenville, S.C.

University music groups, including the Loreleis and the Clef Hangers, will also sing in the Pit on Wednesday.

As part of the senior community service project, candy bags are being made throughout the week to distribute to children's hospitals in the Chapel Hill area.

Finishing off the week is a Senior Feast from noon to 2 p.m. Thursday in the Pit and Senior Pride Day on Friday. "This week is a practice for Spring Senior Week," DeMent said. "Our goal is to get all seniors involved, mainly those that normally wouldn't participate."