South Campus Lot to Undergo Renovations

Negotiations to include a Harris Teeter Express grocery store in the structure have also begun.

Carolyn Elfland, vice chancellor for auxiliary services, said design ideas from universities with similar facilities inspired the planning committee for the project.

Elfland, accompanied by four students, two architects and several UNC officials, visited the University of Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech and Carnegie Mellon University during Fall Break.

"We were looking at schools that have parking decks with buildings around them or dining services," she said.

Elfland said ideas for the new parking deck include a recreation center, a replacement for Chase Hall, the Harris Teeter Express grocery store, a bookstore, a police substation and a late-night study facility.

Elfland said the committee is meeting with architects and a cost estimator to develop a design plan. She said the goal is to present the plan to the Board of Trustees in January. She has no financial estimates for the project.

If approved, Ramshead project plans and requests for revenue from student fees will be included as a referendum on the student elections ballot in February. The approved design plan will be completed by winter 2002, and University officials hope to begin construction in spring 2001 and finish by fall 2003.

"This will be something students will enjoy for years to come," said junior Chris McClure, who is also on the committee.

South Campus residents and committee members have gone door to door in Morrison Residence Hall to get student feedback on the Ramshead project.

"People talked about wanting a grocery store," said Student Body President Brad Matthews. "They were very receptive to having another recreation center, and people talked about a video rental store.

"The process is in the beginning stages, so now is a good time for people to give their input."

Committee member Brandon Cooke said the project will make South Campus more attractive to students because they will not have to trek to Lenoir Dining Hall and the Student Recreation Center.

"Students view South Campus as inferior to North Campus because there is not as much to do on South Campus," he said. "(The project) will make South Campus the place to be."