Wednesday December 8th

Tear Gas Update

Franklin Street patrons were forced to reroute their paths Sunday morning when an unknown suspect released tear gas on Rosemary Street.

One canister was recovered from the courtyard of He's Not Here, located at 112 1/2 W. Franklin St .

No other canisters have been recovered, but Lt. Pat Burns of the Chapel Hill Police Department, said that the spread of the gas, from Columbia to Henderson Street, suggested that more than one canister had been thrown.

Traffic was blocked from Columbia to Henderson Street for 20 and 30 minutes. It took an estimated 10 to 15 minutes for the smoke to clear from the street and local businesses.

Two firefighters passing by were transported to the hospital to be checked for injuries.

Nick Richitt, assistant manager of He's Not Here, said the canister was discovered by one of the bouncers at the business.

"It was actually just inside the bar. Somebody dropped it over the wall adjacent to the street." Richitt said.

The gas spread inside the bar, causing nausea and irritation to customers, although none were taken to the hospital. "I have never been subjected to anything that irritating," Richitt said.

Where the suspect obtained the tear gas is still unclear.

"Generally the police obviously have access to it , and also the military." Burns said. "I would suspect someone in the military could come in contact with it and gain access to it."

Burns said he thought the incident was intended as a prank.

"It appears to be one of those freak pranks that we see from time to time, although it's not a real funny prank."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.

The Daily Tar Heel for December 1, 2021