Yo-Yo Ma Makes Time For Students

Internationally renowned cellist Yo-Yo Ma taught a cello master class in Hill Hall auditorium Monday, as spectators nearly filled the 700 seats with an anticipation of Beatle-esque proportions, matched only by the auditorium's heat.

Although his plane had landed less than two hours before, Ma's demeanor was not plagued by jet lag. He often erupted into laughter, gestured wildly to emphasize his suggestions and signed autographs.

And while many attended the master class to learn from him, Ma does not see himself as a teacher.

"I'm not trying so much to teach people but to be a listener," he said. "I always ask students what they like about the thing they're doing. If what they like matches what they're doing, then that's fantastic. If it's not, then you look at the points in which something doesn't match up."

The students involved in the master class prepared extensively to have the cellist - one who has won more than 13 Grammy Awards, released more than 50 albums and collaborated with other five-star musicians like Bobby McFerrin - listen and suggest changes.

If it sounds nerve-wracking, it was initially for junior musical performance major Hillary Vaden - until she spoke to Ma prior to playing.

"I've been really nervous about (the master class) for a while," she said, after performing Elgar's "Concerto in E minor" for Ma. "But no one can put you at ease more than that man; he's a really giving person."

Like Vaden, five additional students passed an audition to perform for Ma, said cellist Professor Brent Wissick. After the three chosen students performed their selected works, Ma suggested various methods to improve their playing - ranging from imagery exercises to altering the use of the bow.

The lessons Ma offered the audience were imparted to him at an early age. Born to Chinese parents in Paris 45 years ago, Ma showed musical potential by age 4. After moving to America, Ma trained at The Julliard School and received an academic education at Harvard University.

Now, thanks to his international status and his educational efforts on children's shows like "Sesame Street," Ma's widespread appeal has turned the cellist into classical music's resident ambassador, Wissick said.

"Not only is Yo-Yo Ma an extraordinary gift as a performer and lifelong discipline, but also he's one of those performers that have been accepted by a wide audience." he said. "He brings people to Bach by his excellence and his warmth as a human being."

Reminding the students to enjoy their playing several times throughout the class, Ma said it is clear that classical music need not be background noise or a public radio mainstay, but a form of human expression.

"I think that's the essence of the live performer - communication, in the sense that music is an expression of inner thoughts," Ma said.

This echoed the advice he gave all aspiring cellists and musicians in the sweaty Hill Hall audience.

"It's not about perfection, it's about expression."

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.