CAA Plans Homecoming Hype

One of the new activities is a pregame tailgate party co-sponsored by the CAA and the Residence Hall Association. The party will begin Saturday at about 10 a.m., two hours before UNC plays its football game against the University of Maryland.

RHA President Robin Yamakawa said the organization is trying to get Hip Hop Nation to provide a disc jockey for the event. Any student with a UNC ONE Card will be able to get free barbecue from Red Hot & Blue.

Another first for Homecoming 2000 is the Talent Expo, sponsored by the Freshman Class Committee of the Black Student Movement.

The committee's co-chairman, Deone Powell, said there will be 12 acts featuring singers, dancers and other BSM subgroups. The show will take place from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday in the Hanes Art Center.

Ebony Readers/Onyx Theater will perform a dramatic interpretation at the Talent Expo. Opeyo! Dancers will perform cONcEpt of colors, a fashion show.

Devyn Spence, chairwoman of the CAA Homecoming committee, said Homecoming festivities will extend across campus all week long. "There will be extensive decorations from South Campus to Franklin Street," Spence said.

Homecoming events kick off today with a carnival in Polk Place featuring popcorn, cotton candy and games. Participants can take part in a football toss and dress up and compete as sumo wrestlers in addition to other activities.

On Tuesday, which is Election Day, the CAA and student government will conduct a "get-out-and-vote" campaign. Shuttles will run to Orange County voting precincts, and a voter-education table will be set up in the Pit.

A forum will be held from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesday in 100 Hamilton Hall, where students can meet and greet the Mr. and Ms. UNC candidates.

The week continues with Banner Day on Wednesday. The CAA will make a banner to encourage spirit and invite all students to put their footprints on it.

Masala is sponsoring a multicultural show Wednesday night in the Great Hall of the Student Union, with several different groups performing.

On Thursday, Carolina Dining Services will co-sponsor a lunch with UNC athletes and coaches in the Great Hall from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. The CAA will also rent out Pantana Bob's on Thursday for a Homecoming Jam party.

Friday is Spirit Day, and everyone is encouraged to wear blue and white. Spence said CAA members will sell special Homecoming T-shirts and give out buttons.

Homecoming 2000 will also feature a banner-making contest in which all stu