Expectations High For UNC Step Show

Football is serious and competition is strong. School spirit is at its peak.

The girls in Delta Sigma Theta sorority Inc. are stomping their feet and throwing chairs.

They are preparing for their part in the step show at the approaching Homecoming Extravaganza to be held in Carmichael Gym on Friday.

The Homecoming Extravaganza, co-sponsored by National Pan Hellenic Council and the Black Alumni Reunion, will encompass more than just the traditional step shows.

While three fraternities and four sororities are performing step shows, subgroups of the Black Student Movement, including the UNC Gospel Choir, Harmonyx, an a cappella group, the male and female hip-hop Opeyo! dancers, and the modern Opeyo! dancers will also perform.

"The Black Alumni Reunion usually hosts a Cultural Extravaganza for the alumni that come back," said Trenya Futrell, NPHC president. "This year the Cultural Extravaganza and Homecoming Step Show will be held together."

The Cultural Extravaganza is an event for the alumni that includes alumni, Greek organizations, BSM and their subgroups performing, said Anita Walton, organizer of the Black Alumni Reunion.

Last year the Cultural Extravaganza sold more than 500 tickets, Walton said. This year the Black Alumni Reunion has already sold 434 tickets just to alumni.

Last year's Homecoming Step Show sold out. "We are expecting to come close to selling out (this year)," Futrell said.

Aware of the publicity and many eyes that will be on them Friday night, Delta Sigma Theta Inc. members are preparing for the competition with vigor.

"We have been practicing 15 hours a week," said Ebony Staton, president of Delta Sigma Theta Inc. "We won last year with our theme of pretending to be people from different planets who want to take over Earth and rename it planet Delta.

"We also used baby chairs as props that we tossed across the stage and to one another," Staton said. "Props are important."

The sorority has another theme ready for this year, but won't divulge their secret yet. "It's going to be a surprise," Staton said.

Futrell said the NPHC is also planning another surprise. Former Director of Greek Affairs Ron Binder will be flying from Toledo, Ohio, back to Chapel Hill to see the show one last time.

Following the Homecoming Extravaganza, there will be an after-party until 2 a.m. with 102 Jamz disc jockey Buster Brown as host.

Tickets are being sold for $12 in advance at the Carolina Union Box Office and in the Pit or for $15 at the door.

Tickets include the Homecoming Extravaganza and the after-party. Tickets to the after-party will be sold for $8 after the Homecoming Extravaganza.