Hash, Lloyd Capture Homecoming Titles

Will Lloyd, a senior from Graham sponsored by the Freshman Camp of the Campus Y, and Kellie Hash, a senior from Winston-Salem sponsored by the BSM, were awarded the titles of Mr. and Ms. UNC at the UNC-Maryland football game.

Prior to this year's elections, only candidates sponsored by the BSM had won either title for the last 10 years.

And Lloyd said BSM candidate Brandon Lofton could have just as easily won the crown. The two exchanged a bear hug at the 50-yard line after Lloyd was named the winner. "Brandon was amazingly qualified and a really good guy."

BSM President Tyra Moore said the BSM has fared well during the past decade and that she was surprised Lofton was not named Mr. UNC. "I was disappointed for Brandon, not necessarily because of the streak," Moore said. "It's never been about continuing some streak. I do feel Brandon is a very strong candidate.

"One of the things that has made a difference is that we are the only organization that makes the candidates run and present a platform - therefore, you get the best candidate."

A crisp, clear autumn day set the stage for UNC's Homecoming festivities. Mr. and Ms. UNC crowns were presented by last year's winners, David Cooke and Niccole Cosby.

Lloyd said he was very excited during the halftime presentation. "When I walked out on the field, I felt really good about my chances and the whole situation."

But Hash said she was not sure of her chances of winning as the announcement approached. "I was relieved when the voting was over on Wednesday," she said.

More than 1,800 votes were cast in Wednesday's first online election, far exceeding last year's total of 400.

Other candidates who ran included Lofton, a senior from Jacksonville; Jennifer Santhouse, a senior from Raleigh; and Mimi Patel, a senior from Jersey City, N.J.

Lloyd and Hash said they are excited about the opportunities their new positions will offer them. Mr. and Ms. UNC each have a service project to complete, and both candidates seemed eager to make the position more involved with the campus.

Hash's proposed project is a three-day breast awareness program, culminating in a benefit concert. Lloyd plans to create a Valentine's Day dance for children at UNC Hospitals and the Big Buddy program.