Locals Endorse Margaret Brown for Orange County Commissioner - letter 5

One thing about Margaret Brown that has impressed me over our many years of association is that she is a pleasure to work with. That was true when she served on many boards in Orange County, Chapel Hill and Carrboro, and it has been true during her first term as Orange County commissioner. In addition, her record of accomplishment as a commissioner is outstanding.

Margaret was always a leader and remains one today. When school overcrowding resulted from overgrowth, Margaret and I, along with other concerned citizens, formed Stop Overcrowding Schools (SOS).

Through effort and education, we were able to find new funding sources and to highlight the stress that school overcrowding causes children.

Since her election, Margaret spearheaded passage of the $47 million school bond in 1997.

At the proposed Meadowmont school site, it was Margaret who bargained with the developer to get an additional 10 acres donated to the school system.

And it was Margaret who championed energy-efficient school construction, controlled building costs and schools linked to parks.

Margaret thinks in the long-term. She understands the value of planning for growth, not just for schools but across the board for the benefit of the quality of life in Orange County. Margaret's vision makes her an excellent commissioner.

She has my support, and I urge citizens to join me in voting for her.

Carolyn Miller

Chapel Hill