Mejia Advances to ITA Nationals

North Carolina sophomore Marlene Mejia defeated Maren Haus of Wake Forest 6-0, 6-4 in the semifinal round of the ITA Southeast Regional Championships at Wake Forest to advance to the ITA National Championships in Dallas.

"Marlene had a fantastic tournament," UNC coach Roland Thornqvist said. "Her game has matured. She knows where to go on offense and when to change it up, and that has made her a better player."

The ITA National Championships will be the first weekend in February at the Brookhaven Country Club.

Mejia did not play the final match of the Southeast Regional Championships because the finalists automatically advance to the nationals.

The ITA tournament concludes UNC's fall season. The spring season will begin on Jan. 12, when the Tar Heels host the Carolina Indoor Invitational.

UNC Earns No. 1 Seed, Bye to Semis

The North Carolina men's soccer team has earned a first-round bye in the ACC tournament. The Tar Heels (17-2, 5-1 in the ACC) will face the winner of Thursday's Clemson-Wake Forest game.

It is the first-ever top seeding for UNC in the ACC tournament. UNC plays at 8 p.m. on Friday at Wake Forest.

Tar Heels Get Bye in College Cup

The North Carolina women's soccer team will face the winner of Wednesday's Wake Forest-Liberty game in the second round of the NCAA Women's College Cup. The Tar Heels (16-3, 4-3) will host the game on either Saturday or Sunday.

UNC captured its 13th ACC title Sunday and is aiming for its 16th NCAA championship. Forward Meredith Florance got tourney MVP honors, and Tar Heels Julia Marslender, Jena Kluegel and Anne Remy made the all-tournament team.

Parker, Reed Named Players of Week

Tailback Willie Parker and kicker Jeff Reed earned ACC player of the week honors for their performances in North Carolina's 20-17 victory against Pittsburgh.

Parker, the rookie of the week, started his first game of the season and responded with 61 yards rushing and 56 yards receiving. He scored UNC's first touchdown and set up another with two long plays.

Reed, the specialist of the week, made field goals of 33 and 32 yards and both extra-point attempts. He also had touchbacks on all five kickoffs and is a candidate for the Lou Groza Award, given to the nation's best place-kicker.

2 Swimmers Get ACC Honors

North Carolina freshmen Jessi Perruquet and Yuri Suguiyama earned ACC swimmer of the week honors after leading the women's and men's squads to wins this weekend in Koury Natatorium.

Perruquet blitzed the field in the

200-yard freestyle, winning in a time of 1 minute, 48.37 seconds. The performance was the third fastest in North Carolina history. Perruquet also won the 100-yard freestyle and anchored the Tar Heels' 200-yard medley, 400-yard medley and 800-yard freestyle relays to victories.

Suguiyama broke the school record in the 1,000-yard freestyle, stroking to victory in 9:09.59 - more than seven seconds faster than his previous personal best. He also won the 500-yard freestyle and swam the leadoff leg on North Carolina's victorious 800-yard freestyle relay team.