Parties, Sports Mark 1st Alumni Weekend

The General Alumni Association sponsored the weekend event, which included alumni groups from the School of Law and the School of Nursing and marked the 20th annual Black Alumni Reunion.

"We are very pleased with the turnout for what is the very first alumni weekend," said Linda Rainey, coordinator of Alumni Clubs. "This is the first time (the GAA) has promoted such an event to all Carolina alumni."

The Alumni Weekend involved numerous pregame parties and opportunities including award ceremonies and Franklin Street trips for the 10th, 25th and 30th class reunions.

"What we have tried to do is provide a flexible program that is very inclusive," said Doug Dibbert, director of alumni affairs. "It helps that we won the (football) game, and it helps that there were other events this weekend such as the basketball games, the field hockey games and the women's soccer game to draw more alumni back."

The all-alumni weekend's main event was the postgame party held on the lawn of the Carolina Inn after the UNC-Maryland football game.

More than 100 alumni crowded the lawn after the UNC football victory to share memories and catch up with one another.

"It's a very nice occasion to have (alumni) come back and enjoy the Carolina Inn like this," said Michelle Ray, class of 1990.

Because the weekend event was open to all alumni, it allowed more of them to share in the festivities with former UNC friends who were not in the same class.

"I think this (Alumni Weekend) is great," said Errol Powell, class of 1973.

"I have been to three reunion events in the past, but this is the first time I have fully participated in (an alumni event). I am hoping to visit with all my old friends that I went to school with that were not in my graduating class."

Many alumni said the weekend brought back many memories as they visited with old friends and toured the campus.

"This event was very well-organized, and I have had a blast," said Jim McLoed, class of 1977. "Other than Franklin Street, (the campus looks) just like I remember."

But some alumni said the growing campus did not match the image they recalled.

"I have only been back (to UNC) once in 25 years, so it is a pretty different place to me," said Ginger Gregory, class of 1975.

Despite the changes to campus, alumni said they enjoyed the chance to come back to UNC and experience the campus first-hand.

Gregory said, "Carolina is wonderful now and has always been wonderful."