Price for U.S. House

It is an undeniable, though to some unfortunate, fact that many of the decisions that affect North Carolina are made not in the state, but in Washington, D.C.

To ensure that those decisions are the right ones, it is essential that voters choose a qualified and reliable candidate to capably represent their interests in Congress.

It is for this reason that The Daily Tar Heel endorses David Price for the 4th Congressional District.

Price is unquestionably qualified: He has served 12 of the last 14 years in Congress. During that time, he has established an impressive track record as a faithful servant of his constituents. As a member of the House Appropriations and Budget Committee, he wields considerable power that has benefited the state.

Price has a keen interest in educational issues that affect many of the citizens in the 4th District. He has been an ardent supporter of greater access to higher education for lower-income families. His Education Affordability Act allowed families to deduct interest on student loans, and he has fought for increased tuition aid to college students.

He is also known as an advocate for mass transit and the environment. Thanks to him, the state received $12 million to begin work on the Triangle's commuter rail system.

Housing issues also have been among Price's priorities while in Congress. He created a home ownership program and initiated an act requiring lenders to disclose the full terms of home equity loans.

Campaign finance reform, stronger environmental regulations and accessible health care are other priorities of Price that are shared and wholeheartedly endorsed by The Daily Tar Heel.

Finally, Price is a voice of moderation who is well-respected by both his colleagues and his constituents, who have obviously been pleased with the job he has done in the past.

Price's Republican opponent, Jess Ward, has limited political experience. The Libertarian candidate, C. Brian Towey, has some good ideas but has not articulated any clear plan for achieving them.

In short, David Price is clearly a man of high character, extensive experience and sound ideas who would be the best man for the job.