Shameless `Nicky' Another Audience-Pleaser

Any self-respecting movie critic is supposed to pan Adam Sandler flicks as unfunny sophomoric drivel.

But being neither (self-respecting or a movie critic), I can say wholeheartedly that "Little Nicky" isn't that bad.

The latest film from Sandler and "Saturday Night Live" writer Tim Herlihy is by no means an instant classic, but the laughs are pretty constant, and Sandler's all-star supporting cast adds depth to what otherwise would be a shamelessly goofy film.

But make no mistake - that's largely what it is.

"Little Nicky" is the story of the gimp son of Satan (Harvey Keitel) who must go topside to capture his mutinous brothers (Tommy Lister, "Friday," and Rhys Ifans, "Notting Hill") who plan on literally creating hell on earth.

The lovable but dull-witted Nicky is aided on his quest by a bulldog named Beefy (voiced by Robert Smigel, another SNL contributor), an "ambiguously gay" roommate played by Allen Covert (the homeless caddy in "Happy Gilmore") and two stoner Satan worshippers. Seriously.

Though the, uh, unconventional plot is pretty farfetched, it flows well and includes enough twists and turns to be slightly less predictable than other Sandler films.

Patricia Arquette gives an uninspiring performance as Nicky's love interest, Valerie. This romance, like in "Happy Gilmore" and "Billy Madison," is the weakest and sappiest part of the movie.

Some of the funniest scenes are between Nicky and Beefy, as the smart-aleck pup tries to help Nicky on his mission. The film also scores with the portrayal of Nicky's angel mom Holly (Reese Witherspoon), who, along with her other heavenly buddies, gets the biggest laughs as the Cher Horowitz-esque forces of good.

"Nicky" is peppered with cameos from SNL alums, including Ellen Cleghorn, Dana Carvey, Jon Lovitz, Kevin Nealon and Rob Schneider as the same "You can do it!" guy he played in "The Waterboy."

Ozzy Osbourne, Rodney Dangerfield, Carl Weathers, Bill Walton, Henry Winkler and Quentin Tarantino also make noteworthy appearances.

Along with delightfully evil performances from Ifans and Keitel, this supporting cast makes "Nicky" a much richer piece.

All the same, "Nicky" still sticks to the Sandler-Herlihy formula: weird, funny stuff happens to an endearing underdog who triumphs in the end and gets the girl. The idea is that it's a lot easier to overlook the lame jokes when you care about the character.

This simple strategy is the very reason why critics hate, and audiences love, Sandler's work.

Call me a sucker, but I guess I fall in the latter category.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.