Featured Freshman Writes in to Address Article's Misconceptions

I was ecstatic when I was chosen as one of the four freshmen for the "Freshman Perspectives" articles. I was even more excited after the success of the first article. The following article (Dec. 4), on the other hand, has left me a little disappointed to say the least. The article did not achieve its goal of assessing who I really am. In fact, it misrepresented me in a lot of ways. For instance, the phrase describing me as a "material boy" is totally false. Don't get me wrong, I like nice things, but those nice things don't define me. I would have been happier if the article would have highlighted more of the leadership roles that I have on campus or the community service projects in which I participate. The name brands of the clothes that I wear and the size of my wardrobe is a very, very small part of who Deone Powell really is and was an even smaller part of the interview that the staff of The Daily Tar Heel conducted.

So, for all of you out there who think that Deone Powell is a shallow, materialistic, vain and one-dimensional pretty boy, think again. I have more important things on my mind like getting an education. No love lost for the writer, Jermaine Caldwell, though. I am not bitter, and we are still cool. I guess we just did not have the same intentions for the article.

The front page of the DTH was a good venue for you to express your perception of me, now thank you for giving me this letter in the Readers' Forum to govern myself accordingly.

Deone Powell

Freshman

Political Science