Tar Heels Upset 'Pack in OT

After a missed free throw and a foul thwarted her initial effort to win Sunday's game against the 19th-ranked Wolfpack, Brown scored the first six of North Carolina's 10 points in overtime to clinch a 83-77 victory.

Brown's dominance in the extra period before 7,022 at the Smith Center capped a phenomenal individual performance and displayed that -- if Jim Croce is to be trusted -- Leroy might be the baddest man on the south side of Chicago, but Coretta is the baddest Brown in this town.

The sophomore point guard finished with 22 points on 8-of-16 shooting, seven assists, four rebounds, three steals and two turnovers in 45 minutes to pace the Tar Heels (8-6, 3-3 in the ACC), who were coming off a 78-76 loss to Virginia on Thursday.

Forward LaQuanda Barksdale added 21 points (15 in the first half) and 15 rebounds (12 after halftime) for UNC, which withstood a game-high 23 points from State guard Tynesha Lewis.

"This team has developed a lot of confidence, and it's going to get better as people off the bench are helping us," UNC coach Sylvia Hatchell said.

After missing a free throw that would have given UNC a three-point lead with six seconds left in regulation, Brown erased any doubts in overtime that she deserves to have the ball in her hands when the game is on the line.

She drove the lane three times on UNC's first four possessions, while State could only manage a baseline jumper from Adeola Olanrewaju, to give the Tar Heels a 79-75 lead with 1:25 left.

Lewis hit a jumper on State's next possession to cut the deficit in half, but UNC forward Chrystal Baptist forced a turnover on the Wolfpack's next trip down the court.

Tar Heel senior guard Leah Sharp hit four free throws down the stretch to ice the victory.

"I felt like it should have been over a long time ago," Brown said. "I just came out aggressive. I felt like I should have hit that second free throw, so I took it upon myself to bring us back and win the game."

Brown appeared to have done just that after her jumper in the paint gave the Tar Heels a 72-71 advantage with six seconds left in the second half.

With State guard Amelia Labador marking her, Brown took the ball out behind the three-point line on the right wing. She drove to her left into the lane, pulled up inside the free throw line and swished a 10-footer.

"It was penetration, and if the defense draws she can kick it to a shooter, but the way she's playing we want her to go in there and take that shot," Hatchell said.

Brown then stole the ensuing Wolfpack inbound pass and was fouled, sending her to the line, where she hit the first of two free throws.

But the Wolfpack evened the score at 73 after UNC center Candace Sutton fouled Amy Simpson with no time left on the clock.

Simpson drained both shots to prolong the contest an extra five minutes, but Brown ensured that the Wolfpack (11-5, 2-4) would not be able to dodge the same bullet twice.

"To us, she was the difference," State coach Kay Yow said. "Without question."

While Barksdale and Brown led the way for UNC, Baptist made a strong case for an unsung hero award.

The 6-foot-2 freshman played 13 minutes and finished with seven points and three rebounds as Sutton and forward Jennifer Thomas struggled with foul trouble for much of the game.

Baptist doused any hopes of a State comeback when she forced a turnover with UNC leading 79-77 toward the end of overtime.

Wolfpack forward Talisha Scates took a pass along the right baseline but lost control of the ball while beginning to make her move to the basket. Baptist got a hand on the loose ball and slammed it off Scales' leg, sending it out of bounds with 25.2 seconds left in the game.

"Every time Coach gets ready to put me in she says, 'This is your big chance,'" Baptist said. "Today, I really felt like this was my chance to prove that I really deserve to get more playing time and get more confidence with the coaches."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.ed