Charges in Car-Flipping Unfounded, Friend Says

James Auman Haltom, 20, of 321 W. Cameron Ave., turned himself in to Chapel Hill police Friday after police issued a warrant for his arrest in connection with the Feb. 1 incident.

But Drew Lineback, Haltom's friend who was with him during the celebration, said, "I know he wasn't involved in the flipping of the car."

Haltom has been charged with one count of felony rioting for his alleged role in the vandalism of a car following the Feb. 1 basketball game.

Haltom was released on a written promise to appear in court. He will appear Feb. 20 at Orange County District Court in Hillsborough, according to police reports.

Although Haltom would not comment for the record on the charges, Lineback maintains that Haltom was not directly involved in flipping Mindy Guadagnino's 1997 Honda Accord.

UNC sophomore Lineback, 20, of 321 W. Cameron Ave., said he was with Haltom on Franklin Street.

Lineback admits that Haltom stood on top of the car before it was flipped.

"James was standing on top of the car," he said. "I grabbed him and pulled him down. He was standing next to me when the car got turned over."

Student Attorney General Taylor Lea said Haltom could face Honor Court charges.

"Anything that affects the University community, even if it happens in China, is under the jurisdiction of the Honor Court," she said.

After receiving the police report from the Dean of Students Office, Lea will meet with Haltom and others charged to determine if further Honor Court action is necessary.

Lea said the maximum Honor Court punishment of expulsion is unlikely in Haltom's case.

She also said the most likely punishment, if he is convicted, would be "either suspension for a semester or probation and community service."

Chapel Hill police are still searching for others involved in the vandalism.

Fliers were released Friday with pictures of suspects.

Chapel Hill police spokeswoman Jane Cousins said Crime Stoppers had "received about half a dozen tips with information to follow up on" as of Friday. But so far only Haltom has been charged.

Lineback said he took Haltom off the car at least five minutes before it was flipped.

"I knew that this was just bad."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.