Despite Gains, N.C. Women Still Lag Behind Men

Even as women in North Carolina have gained several prominent posts in the N.C. state government, a recently released report says women in the state still have a ways to go before they reach complete equality.

Gov. Easley's recently selected Cabinet consists of three women, and voters just elected several women into influential statewide positions -- including Lt. Gov. Beverly Perdue and Secretary of State Elaine Marshall.

But according to the most recent "Status of Women in North Carolina" report by the N.C. Council for Women, women still only earn 78 cents for every dollar men take to the bank.

Closing the wage gap and equalling men and women's pay rates would bring in an average of $3,618 more a year per woman, says the Council for Women report. This could reduce the number of single mothers in poverty by 13 percent, the report stated.

But not all women agree that the wage gap between men and women is the most formidable enemy of the women's movement.

D.J. Norquist, vice president of the Employment Policy Foundation, said the method now being used to figure the wage gap is like comparing apples to oranges.

She said the whole work force is put into one big pool without regard to important variables.

A 22-year-old woman's entry-level job being compared to a 55-year-old man's position after many years with his company isn't a fair or accurate depiction of wage gaps between men and women, Norquist said.

But women's enrollment in higher education keeps rising, along with the number of women-owned businesses opened since 1992.

Rachel A. Willis, associate professor of American Studies and Economics at UNC, said good work experience will be the key factor in increases in women's income.

But these issues could soon be addressed by the state government. Led by N.C. Equity and N.C. Women United, women all across the state have helped to design a Women's Agenda Program -- a program aimed at reforming women's economic status in the state -- which was introduced to state legislators last week.

But Norquist said the best way to forward the women's movement in the 21st century is to educate and encourage the younger generations of women about their possibilities instead of telling them they are victims of discrimination.

"Women's empowerment should not be through the government, but through themselves."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.