Edwards' Charges Rise to 58

Carrboro police served Edwards, 33, who lives at 100 Rock Haven Road, Apt. M-304, with the charges at Orange County Jail without incident.

Capt. Joel Booker of the Carrboro Police Department said the new charges were the results of probable cause found in several investigations.

"These were just other cases that were under investigation where an investigator found a connection to Mr. Edwards and found probable cause to charge Mr. Edwards," Booker said.

Booker said some of the new incidents Edwards is being charged with occurred as early as the Thanksgiving holidays of 2000.

As a result of the additional charges, Edwards has been given an additional $1 million bond, raising his bond to a total of $4.1 million.

The new charges include 15 counts of possession of stolen property, four counts of breaking and entering, four counts of larceny, one count of first-degree burglary and one count of second-degree kidnapping.

Edwards, a former UNC employee, was first arrested Jan. 9. He was linked with two sexual assaults and one rape, which occurred in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro area in late December.

The first local assault occurred in Dec. 23 at Ridgehaven Townhomes and the first rape was reported at 1000 Smith Level Road on Dec. 26., according to police reports. Both occurred in Carrboro. The most recent sexual assault occurred at an apartment on Hillsborough Street in Chapel Hill a few weeks later. Edwards was arrested by the Carrboro Police Department shortly after the Chapel Hill police broadcasted a report of the incident.

But he also was charged with armed robbery, first- and second-degree burglary, first- and second-degree kidnapping, larceny, safecracking, financial transaction card theft, possession of stolen goods, obtaining property with false pretense and multiple sexual offenses.

"It certainly draws one's attention," Booker said of the numerous charges.

"It would at least give indication on its face that he was into a lot of things."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.