`Marisol' Uses Humor to Critique Society

It turns out Valentine's Day rehearsal stretched into Valentine's late night, then to early Thursday morning.

"This is just going to take some time and patience, that's what we need tonight," said Odendahl, who has been waiting to do the play for several years.

And patience she got, as the show's star, Grace Gonzalez, who plays Marisol Perez, stood waiting as technical glitches were ironed out of the opening minutes.

"I'm a little nervous," said Gonzalez, a senior at Duke University, while anticipating her cue.

But Gonzalez's nerves didn't surface when she took the stage to rehearse for the Saturday opening of Jose Rivera's "Marisol."

The play, written in 1992, tells the story of Marisol, a Puerto Rican woman who is forced to deal with the notion that God is getting old and does not care about the world's deterioration. In an effort to stop the madness (events like the moon disappearing and Nazis burning the homeless), the guardian angels on Earth have left their posts unguarded to kill God.

"In this play, God is the enemy," said Leslie Stewart, a UNC junior who plays an unnamed woman. "The people in the play come to a point when they can wallow in that and be destroyed or do something about it."

The play, Stewart said, critiques religion, culture, gender roles and capitalism. But the tone is not always heavy, as humor is used frequently.

"You'll be laughing and say, 'oh my gosh, I shouldn't be laughing at that,'" she said.

Senior Brian Nichols, who plays Lenny, said "Marisol" warns of the world's community withering -- not, as some might think, a condemnation of religion.

"We can't let things get like they are in the play before we wake up and decide to do something," he said.

This idea of improving the world has unified the cast.

"During the first read through, we sat down and picked it apart with our minds," Stewart said. "You just don't get to (be that intimate) with a lot of shows."

A read-through of the script was enough to make 1996 UNC graduate Kimberly Wood, who plays Lenny's sister June, teary-eyed.

"The first time I read it, it made me cry," Wood said. "It just hit me the right way."

The play will be performed at 8 p.m. Feb. 17 and Feb. 21-24 at Studio 6 Swain Hall and at 2 p.m. on Feb. 18 and 25. Tickets are $5 for students and $8 for the public and available at the door.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.