Stone's Career Day Boosts Tar Heels

She didn't let the rain stop her offensive fireworks as she scored four goals to help the Tar Heels crush Davidson 17-3.

Stone responded to the Wildcats' only goal of the first half with her first goal. She rebounded a shot off Davidson goalie Becca Nussbaum and put it in the back of the net 8:40 into the first half to give UNC a 4-1 lead.

With 1:39 left in the first half and North Carolina leading 8-1, Stone added two goals in a span of 35 seconds to give the Tar Heels a 10-1 advantage heading into the second half.

Stone scored 11 goals last season and is now off to a blistering pace to open this season.

"Lindsay had a good season last year, but she was more of a role player in her mind," UNC coach Jenny Slingluff Levy said.

Stone showed she has re-evaluated her role in UNC's attack.

She doubled her previous game-high total of two goals, which she achieved last season against James Madison, Johns Hopkins and Georgetown.

Stone's solid performance against the Wildcats was well supported by her fellow teammates, junior Kellie Thompson and senior Amy Havrilla, who scored five and three goals respectively.

"The upperclassmen show that they want to play for everybody that's on the field," Stone said. "That makes you want to play that much harder."

Stone, with her intensity and scoring ability, has picked up where two-time All-ACC midfielder Meghann Mohler, left off. Mohler, who graduated last year, finshed last season with 18 goals and was a key part of the Tar Heels' run to the final four in the NCAA tournament.

Stone will be a vital part of North Carolina's offense this season.

"(Sunday) was Lindsay's day," Slingluff Levy said. "We're hoping to see that out of all those guys because we know they all can do it. I don't have to drive these girls - they drive themselves."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.