Tar Heels Sweep Hoosiers in Straight Sets

The No. 22 Tar Heels were led by Marlene Mejia, who defeated Indiana's Kelly Blanch 6-4, 6-4 at first singles. Kate Pinchbeck, Kristin Koenig, and Kendrick Bunn earned victories at the second through fourth slots, while Elina Bairos and Courtney Zalinski won tiebreakers in the second sets to clinch their matches.

In doubles, the 25th-ranked team of Kendrick Bunn and Kate Pinchbeck fell to IU's Kelly Blanch and Martina Grimm, 8-3. Marlene Mejia and Elina Bairos defeated Indiana's Schlukebir and Tran 8-5 at No. 2 doubles, while Erin Niebling and Courtney Zalinski topped Field and Hsia in the No. 3 doubles slot.

"We played very well again and Indiana put up a good fight although the match was clinched," UNC coach Roland Thornqvist said. "Our girls put it in another gear to win all the singles matches in straight sets. We look forward to a week off before we played William & Mary next week."

Baseball Beats Minnesota

MOBILE, Ala. - North Carolina defeated Minnesota 7-6 to finish out the Coca-Cola Classic.

North Carolina lost its first two games in the tournament to Auburn and South Alabama. The Tigers beat the Tar Heels 11-1 after South Alabama handed UNC a 13-1 loss.

Against Auburn, Scott Senatore (0-1) took the loss for the Tar Heels (4-2). He pitched the first 1 2/3 innings of the game, allowing four runs, all earned, off four hits.

No Tar Heel hitter had two hits in the game, and Ryan Blake drove in the Tar Heels' lone run.