Tenured Teachers Oppose Rubric Ratings

School board members must implement a new system by August to comply with new state Board of Education criteria for teacher evaluations, set in 1997.

The new policy, called SERVE, would require all teachers to be observed by a principal or assistant principal, evaluated by a rubric system and rated. Tenured teachers argue that they should not have to be evaluated by such a rigorous system that is similar to what they faced as new teachers.

Dianne Jackson, media specialist at Glenwood Elementary School, said teachers think peer evaluations should be incorporated into the policy so evaluations are less subjective. "You need someone who is in your position to give you the best kind of advice," she said. "Feedback should come from not only the administration but from teachers as well."

SERVE was selected by a local committee from six potential options. The program was chosen as the best because of its reputation and system of evaluation.

The school board will not vote to approve the SERVE program before the next meeting on March 1. But local teachers say they don't want a change. Teachers in all 13 district schools have circulated petitions to be signed by all tenured teachers, demanding more information about the new system and the possibility of exploring other options. At Carrboro Elementary School, the petition already has been signed by 20 teachers.

"The teachers have some concerns," board member Teresa Williams said. "But the principals have heartily endorsed it. We would like to have buy-in from everyone who is involved."

The present system, which includes teacher-principal meetings to discuss goals and then evaluation and improvement of those goals, will not be eliminated. But it is mandated by the new state requirements that teacher ratings must be implemented. "(The board) saw the petition and the names of the people who signed it," Jackson said. "These are outstanding educators. (Those who signed) aren't threatened by the new evaluation."

Teachers who are opposed to the system have suggested that they develop a system for evaluation that would be more appropriate for their community.

Still, the evaluation system that is implemented must be acceptable to the state, making the system fairly inflexible.

Chapel Hill High School Principal Mary Ann Hardebeck said the proposal has only been presented to the staff for informational purposes.

But Williams said the district is under pressure from the state to find a quick solution to the problem. "The villain is the clock. The instrument must be in place by August, and it's already February."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.