Women's Track, Swimming Take ACC Titles

The Tar Heel men grabbed second place on the strength of field events and Jeff Ellis' win in the 800 meters.

The women finished with 144 points, followed by Clemson with 98 and Georgia Tech with 83.50.

UNC's men's team finished second with 93 points behind Clemson's 181 points. Florida State rounded out the top three with 86 points.

The women, led by several freshmen, produced outstanding performances during the final day of the championships. Freshman Shalane Flanagan won the mile, shattering the ACC meet record in an NCAA automatic qualifying time of 4:37.41. Flanagan also placed third in the 3,000 meters clocking a provisional qualifying time of 9:33.02.

In the 800 meters, freshman Alice Schmidt won the ACC title and earned a trip to the NCAAs with a time of 2:06.63.

The veterans also played a crucial role in UNC's victory. Senior Lutisha Shittu won the 60 meter hurdles in a time of 8.37 and sixth in the 60 meter dash (7.66). Senior Edi Ntuen scored in the 400 meters (54.82) and 200 meters (24.40) placing second and sixth respectively.

For the men, senior Jeff Ellis broke his own school record winning the 800 meters in a NCAA provisional time of 1:49.52. Junior Brent Callaway won the pole vault with a season best 17-0 3/4.

Junior Sal Gigante finished second in the weight throw with a mark of 64-5 3/4, breaking Carolina school record in the process. Senior Jacobe Foster placed third in the 400 meters in a time of 48.26 and took fourth in the 200 meters (21.85).

Women Grab 2nd Straight ACC Title

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - North Carolina's eighth-ranked women's swimming and diving team has captured its second straight league title as the Tar Heels won the 2001 ACC Swimming & Diving Championship at the Virginia Aquatic and Fitness Center.

The victory marked the 14th championship for the Tar Heels' program in the 23-year history of the meet.

After the third and final day of competition, North Carolina had tallied 823 total points for a 183.5-point advantage against host school Virginia, the nation's 14th-ranked team.

UNC freshman Becky Acker won the 200-yard breaststroke in a time of 2:14.21, while teammate Katie Hathaway finished second in a time of 2:14.54.

North Carolina won the final event of the championship, the 400-yard freestyle relay, topping the competition by nearly a second. The UNC team of Hathaway, Christy Watkins, Jessi Perruquet and Erika Acuff took first place in a new UVa. pool-record time of 3:20.45.