Alan Keyes \Addresses N.C. State

Keyes, former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, was at N.C. State as a participant in the university's annual Human Rights Week.

Keyes finished third after President George W. Bush and Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., in most Republican primaries last spring.

He said individual human rights are often neglected in societies that center on the belief that "might makes right" -- referring to the historical practice of a handful of individuals controlling and dominating a mass majority of people.

Keyes said he was always baffled by this practice and wondered how a small minority could exert so much control over a large group.

"Why did the many not stand up to the few?"

Keyes said human tendency is to fall into the background when a group exerts control over them.

"Humans very often find ways to slip into the background, taking their liberty and dignity with them," he said. "This is not necessarily a positive thing."

Challenging the belief that "might makes right," Keyes added that justice should not be whatever the strongest element says it is.

"But if might doesn't determine the principles of justice, what does?" Keyes questioned the audience.

"God" shouted several in response to the question, which sparked discussion among audience members.

While Keyes was cautious to specifically say God, he did say he believes that rights should come from something beyond human control -- a transcendent authority.

Keyes added that the United States is now at a turning point in its history and needs to be cautious about allowing only a few members to control society.

He said new technologies are arming the few and have the power to destroy citizen liberty if precautions are not taken.

"We are now today being invited to deny the system of rights determined by a transcendent authority," Keyes said.

He ended his speech with the words "God bless you," and the crowd, numbering in the hundreds, gave him a standing ovation.

Patty James, a property manager from Raleigh and former N.C. State student, said the speech was excellent.

Keyes succeeded at getting presenting his beliefs without appearing as a right-wing conservative, James said.

"I came because I know (Keyes') beliefs and wanted to see how he would bring up his ideas of God in a liberal audience."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.