Gymnastics Ends Season With `W'

Sunday at Carmichael Auditorium, senior gymnast Brooke Wilson was honored in an pregame ceremony. Wilson owns all but one of North Carolina's school records.

Teammate Monica Middleton provided Wilson with flowers before tearfully embracing Lisa Companioni.

But once things got going on the mats, the Tar Heels successfully turned tears into triumph.

"It's very emotional, but exciting at the same time," Wilson said. "Running out of the tunnel that last time was definitely a little emotional. You know that you are never going to do that again."

UNC kept things close with Eastern Michigan before closing out the meet with a stellar team effort on floor exercise, defeating the Eagles 194.900-194.775.

Illinois-Chicago finished third.

Wilson closed out her Carmichael career with a vengeance, setting a school-record 39.500 score in all-around competition. Fittingly, in her final home meet, another mark was shattered.

But Wilson wasn't the only individual highlight. Middleton wiped her tears away and finished third with a 39.175 in the all-around -- her personal best -- and Companioni placed fourth.

Though several Tar Heels came into Sunday's meet battling nagging injuries or illness, those that were able to compete more than proved their worth.

As a team, consistency was a common theme. UNC finished above 48.225 in each of the four events.

In fact, the Tar Heels increased their team scores after each meet.

"The thing that I enjoy so much about this team is that they adjust so well, they are so flexible, literally and figuratively," UNC coach Derek Galvin said.

Floor exercise, UNC's final event, again yielded positive results. The Tar Heels mixed energetic routines and hit several tricky flip combinations en route to a 49.100 mark, which was the best team mark for any event Sunday.

The efficiency on floor was just enough for the Tar Heels, who eked out the win by .125 points for their third home victory in as many tries in 2001.

The win puts UNC in good shape for the East Atlantic Gymnastics League championship on March 24.

"We are looking good," Middleton said. "We have three weeks until EAGL, and I think we are going to be ready for that."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.