Not Ultimate Frisbee Team's Fault When You Get Hit in Head

I would like to respond to Monday's cartoon on behalf of the men's and women's UNC Ultimate teams. The cartoonist points to Ultimate players as the source of errant Frisbees around the Old Well with the caption "Attack of the Ultimate Flying Saucers." I would like to offer three reasons why it is unlikely that UNC Ultimate is responsible for these unintended beanings.

Ultimate players don't throw the disc on campus as much as non-players. There are about 40 rostered players in the school, and even though Ultimate players are more likely to throw the disc than non-players, that still leaves dozens of regular people just tossing around. I talked to other people on the team, and everyone assured me he rarely throws on campus.

Ultimate players are less likely to hit someone with a disc because they are more skilled than the average thrower. Taking into account almost 10 weekly hours of practice time for the average UNC player leaves little room for speculation regarding their ability to put a disc where they want to.

Amateur disc golf players are the more likely culprits. The Old Well, depicted in the cartoon, is a notorious attraction for players who seek a highly visible next "hole."

Instead of identifying our sport as a source of disc-induced terror, we ask that that everyone at UNC support our men's and women's teams. We are a peaceful people who wish only to express our keen desire to represent UNC by subjecting our bodies to unimaginable stress and injury in the pursuit of a national championship.

Andrew Greenberg

Senior

French