Officials Set to Start Fare-Free Busing Talks

UNC's Transit and Parking Advisory Committee has helped to bring fare-free busing to the top of transportation discussions in the community this year.

In February, 70 percent of student voters supported a yearly tuition increase of $16.98 to subsidize the implementation of fare-free busing, which would cover 40 percent of the bill.

But the Chapel Hill Town Council, whose budget is set to be voted on in June, might not vote to approve the remaining 60 percent of expenditures. "I would be very supportive of it if we can afford it," said Town Council member Edith Wiggins. "But in another sense, there will be competing needs."

Wiggins said a property tax value re-evaluation that occurred this year will raise taxes for almost all residents, and fare-free busing might raise the cost of living even more. She also said she felt there was a lot of support for fare-free busing on the council because if more people were motivated to ride the bus, fewer would drive cars. "It's good for air quality, congestion and everything," Wiggins said. "It also helps get us into the mind-set of using public transportation."

Wiggins said she thought people inspired to ride the bus might also take advantage of the Triangle Transit Authority's services and be more prone to use public transportation in the future.

"Anything we can do to get people to give up their cars and use public transportation is worth it," she said.

But many details still have to be worked out, including how the town and UNC would split fare-free transit's cost.

Carolyn Elfland, assistant vice chancellor for auxiliary services, said the University would offer $500,000 to implement fare-free busing if the council approves the proposal. "Last year when the council rejected fare-free, it didn't appear to be based on the fact that we weren't offering enough money," she said. "They wanted to improve service before making it free."

Carrboro Board of Aldermen member Allen Spalt said the aldermen supported fare-free busing for students, but not for the entire community.

Spalt said he thought more important improvements should take priority, such as the reorganization of routes, extending hours of operation and shortening headway, or the time between buses.

Elfland said details such as the cost of new buses, services to newly annexed town areas and the background of fare-free transit will be discussed.

Council member Kevin Foy, who is also a member of the town's Transit Advisory Committee, said there was concern that the demand for additional buses would not be met.

"The goal is to work out the mechanics and implement them all on some sort of a rational schedule."

UNC Student Body President Brad Matthews, who has advocated fare-free busing since his election last year, said his successor Justin Young supports fare-free busing, so the issue will not die.

"Yes, it's an increase in money (for the town), but the most important thing to remember is that it is a smart expenditure," Matthews said. "It's going to do great things for the town. It's worth it."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.