Stuart Scott Makes An Ideal Speaker For Commencement

One week after the announcement of ESPN's Stuart Scott as this year's Commencement speaker, Faculty Council Chairwoman Sue Estroff voiced opposition to the selection. In doing so, she illustrated an appalling degree of narrow-mindedness, arrogance and intellectual snobbery.

In The Daily Tar Heel's March 7 article, "Students, Faculty Defend Speaker Choice," Estroff was quoted as saying, "It's ironic that this year, at this ultimately academic conferral of degrees, we have a sports anchor." Imagine that. A lowly, bottom-of-the-food-chain sports anchor. I suppose being one of the nation's premier sportscasters is not nearly as significant as being, say, a university professor.

Estroff believes there shouldn't be an athletics-related speaker at a ceremony intended to honor the students' academic achievements. She might have a valid argument if Scott were a professional athlete.

However, he is not. Scott is a sports journalist. He covers sports using the same tools, techniques and codes of conduct that Tim Russert and Tom Brokaw use when covering Capitol Hill. Admittedly, a baseball game might be of lesser importance than the Middle East peace talks. However, the fact that Scott covers the former does not make him any less of a journalist than those who cover the latter.

In addition, the ingenuity, bubbling enthusiasm and all-around competency that have become Scott's trademarks at ESPN make him an ideal role model for all students at the University, regardless of their interests or future aspirations. He is meticulous, well-read, well-spoken and possesses an uncanny ability to connect with his intended audience. In the process of being the best in his profession, Scott has also revolutionized and redefined it.

There isn't a student on this campus that wouldn't one day like to do the same. Estroff better be careful while riding her high horse. She just might trip over a 55-gallon drum of "Boo-yah!"

Joe Monaco

Journalism and Mass Communication