Trustees Give Resounding `Yes' to Master Plan

The Master Plan, a 50-year blueprint for campus development, was met with no dissent from trustees and granted swift approval, despite lingering concerns from many town officials and local residents.

The rest of the meeting was spent discussing the plan's implementation.

The BOT approved committee recommendations for contracting firms to begin initial construction projects.

Chancellor James Moeser opened the meeting by emphasizing the importance of the board's vote and praising the merits of the plan. "Future generations are relying on your judgment today," he said.

Moeser also linked the Master Plan to the University's recent record endowment for research funds from the National Institutes of Health, saying the new facilities the plan will create would further boost research. "The greatest limitation this University now has (with research) are the physical limitations of our research facilities," he said. "We have an incredible compression of people to almost inhumane conditions."

Several board members joined Moeser in enthusiastic support of the plan. "This is far better than I ever dreamt it would be, and I have very high standards for this University," said trustee David Pardue.

Student Body President Brad Matthews, the only student member on the board, also praised the plan and said he was eager to see it break ground. "It really has addressed a number of student concerns and needs both now and well into the future," he said.

Questions about how construction might affect transportation and parking issues were raised several times during the meeting by administrators and faculty members. "We can't teach if we can't get to our classrooms in a timely fashion," said Sue Estroff, Faculty Council chairwoman.

Trustee Timothy Burnett proposed a motion -- which the board approved -- requesting that Moeser look into facilitating better access to UNC Hospitals from South Colombia Street.

Trustees said their primary concern -- now that the plan has been approved -- is receiving funding for Master Plan projects. But trustees said they are confident that the plan -- because it will be implemented over a 50-year period -- allows enough time for the proper funds to be raised.

Trustees said they expect to stay involved in the plan's implementation for many years to come. "I imagine every board meeting for the next 15 years will have some mention of the Master Plan," Pardue said.

Trustee Richard Williams agreed, noting that future projects will have to come before the BOT for approval. "Every project that comes up, the board will want to know how it fits into the Master Plan," he said. "It's a great blueprint to work from."

The meeting's conclusion focused on building multifaceted parking deck on the Ramshead parking lot, a project that could begin in March 2002. Board members said the project could raise excitement among the University community about the plan. "We need to build a campaign not of PR but of information to let everyone know that this campus is on fire," said trustee James Hynes.

Jonathan Howes, director of the Master Plan, said he was pleased but not surprised that the plan passed unanimously. "This wasn't a routine meeting," Howes said.

"(The BOT) really captured the vision this plan has for the University."

The University Editor can be reached

at udesk@unc.edu.